Frequently Asked Questions
Why is baptism only done by immersion?
Churches of Christ only baptize by immersion because only immersion conforms to the description of baptisms as given by the apostle Paul in Romans 6:3-5 where he speaks of it as a burial and resurrection.
Is infant baptism practiced?
No. Only those who have reached the "age of accountability" are accepted for baptism. The examples given in the New Testament are always of those who have heard the gospel preached and have believed it. Faith must always precede baptism, so only those old enough to understand and believe the Gospel are considered fit for baptism.
How often is the Lord's Supper partaken?
Every member of the church partakes in the Lord's supper each Lord's day, which is every first day of the week (Acts 20:7).
What kind of music is used in worship?
Acappella singing is the only music used in worship. This singing, unaccompanied by instrumental music, conforms to the music used in the apostolic church and for several centuries thereafter (Ephesians 5:19).
Does the Church of Christ believe in heaven and hell?
Yes. The statement of Christ in Matthew 25, and elsewhere, are taken at face value. After death each man must come before God in judgment and he will be judged according to his deeds done while he lived (Hebrews 9:27). After judgment is pronounced he will spend eternity either in heaven or hell.
How do you become a member of the Church of Christ?
1. Hear the Gospel-"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:17)
2. Believe-"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." (Hebrews 11:6)
3. Repent of past sins-"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38)
4. Confess Jesus as Lord-"Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 10:32-33)
5. Be baptized for the remission of your sins-"And Peter said unto them, Repent ye, and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." (Acts 2:38)
Note: After you become a member of the Church of Christ you must continue to live a Christian life-"Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." (Revelations 2:10)